8F1650 – Ford 2.0l Turbo Blanket
Ford Focus ST 2013 - 2018
Congratulations on your purchase of the COBB Tuning xxxxxxxxxxxxxFord 2.0l Turbo Blanket! The following instructions will assist you through the installation process. Please read them BEFORE beginning the install to familiarize yourself with the steps and tools needed. If you feel you cannot properly perform this installation, we HIGHLY recommend you take the vehicle to a qualified and experienced automotive technician.IMPORTANT! Installing this kit will require custom tuning or utilizing an appropriate Stage Power Package map if you have a matching mechanical configuration. Please consult with COBB or an authorized ProTuner in your area if you have any questions!
While not flammable on their own, if any sort of flammable chemical gets into the fiber of the turbo blanket, it may be possible for a fire to occur. It is recommended to replace the turbo blanket if ANY flammable chemicals, liquids, or materials get on the blanket.
Table of Contents
|Table of Contents|
- COBB Turbo Blanket
- (2) Springs
- Safety wire
3/8" Socket Swivel
- 3/8" 7mm socket
- 3/8" 14mm deep
- 3/8" 16mm socket
- 3/8" 17mm socket
- 3/8" 18mm socket
- 3/8" 19mm socket
- 3/8" 21mm socket
- 3/8" 15mm deep socket
3/8" 17mm deep socket
3/8" T20 T25 Torx Bit
- 3/8" T50 Torx Bit
- 3/8" E10 inverted Torx
- 3/8" E12 inverted Torx
- 3/8" E14 inverted Torx
- 3/8" E18 inverted Torx
- 3/8" 4mm Allen Socket
- 3/8" 5 mm Allen Socket 3/8" 10 mm Allen Socket
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
- 3mm Allen Key
- 7mm Nut Driver
- Trim removal tool
- Deadblow Hammer
Stock Component Removal
- Remove the plastic engine cover by gently pulling up. It is merely held down by pressure clips.
- Remove (2) Torx bolts securing down the front of the front windshield cowl using a Torx bit. There will be a bolt on the driver's side and on the passenger's side of the engine bay.
- Remove (4) pressure clips securing the front windshield cowl using a flathead screwdriver.
- Gently pull up and release the (2) debris covers on the front windshield cowl. There will be one on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side.
- Remove the (2) ?mm bots securing the the debris/water guard under the front windshield cowl. There will be one on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side.
- Remove the rubber cover off of each windshield wiper to access the 15mm nut underneath. Remove each wiper. Remember which side is which for reinstallation later.
- Remove the debris guard and windshield Cowl.
- Loosen the (2) hose clamps connecting the two sides of the intake pipe using an 7mm socket.
- Loosen the single hose clamp securing the intake pipe to the airbox using an 7mm socket.
- Loosen the single hose clamp securing the intake pipe to the turbo using an ?mm socket.
- Remove the rubber grommet from the mounting location securing the electrical harness to the intake pipe.
- Disconnect the PCV plug from the back of the intake pipe. You may need to gently lift up the the front windshield cowl to gain access to the plug.
- Gently lift and remove the stock intake system from the car. Be wary of any electrical cables or vacuum hoses that may be in the engine bay as you're removing the piping.
- Moving under the car remove the 4 trim clips from the fabric undertray using your trim tool.
- Using a T30 torx bit remove the 8 torx screws holding the remaining portion of the undertray to the car and drop it out of place.
Focus ST Turbo Blanket Installation
While we show what we feel is the simplest and most secure way of wrapping the wire and using springs to secure the turbo blanket there are many different possibilities and options that will work.
- Tuck the turbo blanket between the block and turbo and pull the lower half through from underneath.
- Work the back side flat against the back of the turbo. Sometimes using a piece of wire to hook one of the rivets can help you to pull the blanket through, then down under the wastegate arm, making sure nothing is in the way of it operating fully.
- Run a single spring from the lower passenger's side rivet on the back side to the front lower one.
- Next connect from that rivet to the one over the downpipe flange then up to the side using either a spring or wire.
- Here are some additional pictures that can give you a better idea of how to route the wire wrapping cleanly.
- Once it's secured, you can put your car back together in the rest order of removal leaving out the factory heat shield.